If there’s one rule that definitely applies in the summer, it’s that natural hair is the rule! Summer is the time to let go of perfect, sleek hairstyles and embrace the more carefree, natural look. To help you achieve this and keep your hair looking young and healthy, we’ve put together a list of summer hair care tips to help you protect those tresses from all that summer throws your way.
- Cover up! Wear a scarf or hat to cover your head when you spend lots of time outdoors. Not only will this provide extra UV protection, it also helps your scalp retain moisture. A hat can also reduce the damage caused by wind and protect your hair color as well.
- Pull your hair up into loose styles. A loose, messy braid is a great way to keep your hair under control and minimize sun exposure. Making your hairstyles too tight can pull and tear your hair, especially if it’s already dry from the summer heat.
- Cut back on washing. Washing your hair too often can strip your scalp of its natural oils, which actually causes additional oil production and makes you think you need to wash it even more. It’s a never-ending cycle that really just causes even more oil on the scalp and dries out the hair. Try going a bit longer in between washes, and use a good dry shampoo in between. This will help protect your natural oils and your ends.
- Turn down the heat. Your hair is already exposed to heat on a regular basis this summer, so try to limit your heat styling as much as possible. Your hair will air-dry much more quickly right now, so try to allow it to do so as much as possible before turning on the hair dryer. Even better, try going au naturale instead! Natural waves and texture is majorly in style right now, and it helps protect your hair from the damage heat styling can produce.
- Don’t skimp on conditioning. Condition your ends every time you wash, and try adding in a deep conditioning treatment or mask once a week to add some extra moisture back into your hair.
- Protect your color from chlorine! Especially if you have blonde hair, because chlorine can potentially give your hair a cast of green. Always rinse your hair with fresh water before you jump in the pool. Your hair will soak it up and leave less room in the shaft for the chemical-laden pool water. After your trip to the pool, you need to shampoo and condition your hair to make sure whatever chemicals don’t sit on your hair for too long, causing damage and discoloration.
If you need some additional TLC for your hair this summer, we’d love to show you how DiverseStyle, the first multicultural salon in the nation, can help with all your hair care needs. If you’re ready to experience a truly inclusive salon environment, give us a call at 609.378.5360, or book an appointment online. For your ultimate convenience, use our mobile app to instantly make the appointment that best suits your schedule. Download it for free from iTunes or Google Play.